We all love playing with our dogs, but we also have to leave them home during the workday. The solution to a home alone, bored dog, is interactive dog toys. Owners have a wide variety of interactive dog toys to choose from. When dogs are active and not spending all day waiting for their best friends to get home, they enjoy the activity and stimulation. Without it, they can become over-excited when you walk in the door, or even destructive while alone, making a mess for you to clean up.
Interactive dog toys can keep a dog busy and out of trouble, reduce stress, and even smooth out the dog's temperament. The best interactive toys offer dogs multiple ways to have fun at home alone, and some dispense treats. To help you select the best ones, we picked 10 of the best on the market while considering performance, flexibility of use, customer reviews, price, and safety.
How We Reviewed
What are Interactive Dog Toys?
Interactive toys use a variety of challenges and rewards, often food, to keep a dog stimulated and exercised.
How Do Interactive Dog Toys Work?
These toys prompt dogs to engage with their toys more deeply by offering a reward.
Where Can You Buy Them?
You can find interactive toys in a variety of venues, from online to brick and mortar stores.
How We Reviewed
We looked carefully at the features of each toy, their pros and cons, price, availability, and where to purchase them, and customer reviews.
Overall Price Range of This Product
(and Similar Products)
The toys we reviewed range from $ to $. Toys on the higher end of the range offer more options, such as 4 different puzzles in one toy.
What We Reviewed
Interactive Dog Toys by FurryFido
The Squeak Dog Toy by FurryFido offers several areas to hide treats, giving your pup hours of mental stimulation as he works at getting all those treats out of the toy. Dogs need to use their brains and their mouths to get at the treats, providing hours of stimulation as they play with the toy.
Dogs can play and get their teeth cleaned at the same time as they play with the Squeak Dog Toy.
With all that use, this toy needs to be durable. The FurryFido Squeak Dog Toy uses thermoplastic rubber, a non-toxic material, to ensure your dog's health and safety. This keeps dogs from eating and possibly choking on fragments of rubber. In the event of damage, FurryFido offers a lifetime guarantee.
StarMark Bob-A-Lot Interactive Dog Toy
- Adjustable treat dispensing toy
- Large chamber fits whole meals
- Weighted bottom wobbles. New adjustment gate on the bottom accommodates a larger kibble size and is easier to adjust
Most interactive toys for dogs include only a small chamber to hold treats or pieces of your dog's food, but the Bob-A-Lot Interactive Dog Toy has enough capacity to hold an entire meal for your pooch.
You can keep your pup from easily and quickly extracting his entire meal by adjusting the size of the opening, giving them hours of stimulating activity. This toy also has 2 chambers, allowing you to offer your pup two different treats or food to extract.
They weight the bottom of the toy so it wobbles enticingly in front of your pet. The Bob-A-Lot comes in 2 sizes.
Outward Hound Hide-A-Squirrel Puzzle Plush Squeaking Dog Toys
- HIDE & SQUEAK FUN: The Hide A Squirrel dog puzzle is an easy way to get your furry friends engaged for hours of fun!...
- 2-IN-1 INTERACTIVE PLAY: Toss the squirrel-filled trunk, place it on the ground, or take the squeaky plush toys out and...
- CHALLENGING & IRRESISTIBLE: Keep boredom at bay and you're curious canine mentally-stimulated while feeding their...
Outward Hound's Hide-A-Squirrel Puzzle Plush Squeaking Dog Toys stimulates the instincts your pup inherited from his wolf ancestors to hunt smaller animals.
This plush toy comes in the shape of a tree stump, with hiding places for the plush squirrels. Your dog must figure out how to get the squirrels out of the stump. He will satisfy his hunting instincts when he bites a squirrel and it squeaks.
Once your pooch has removed all the squirrels, you can play fetch by throwing them for him to retrieve. The Hide-A-Squirrel toy is available in 4 sizes. Each stump has 5 holes, and the toy comes with 3-6 toy squirrels with squeakers, depending on size. They make all parts of this toy using safe materials.
Trixie Pet Products
- TRIXIE’s Poker Box has four different compartments that your dog must unlock in order to retrieve their treat
- Each compartment has a different challenge to master in order to retrieve a treat: lids, flaps, knobs, ropes and drawers
- The non-slip rubber feet keep the box in place as your dog pushes, pulls, lifts and explores
With Trixie Pet Products' Poker Box, your dog gets to play with 4 puzzles in one. There are 4 different boxes, each of which holds a treat. Your dog must figure out 4 different mechanisms to get into the boxes for his reward, including a drawer to pull out, and one the dog can open by lifting a string. You can use the boxes singly or together in any combination, allowing you to switch up the puzzles to keep your dog from getting bored - or too good at solving them!
You can put treats into different parts of the boxes, such as the back of the drawer which is more difficult, or the front, which is easier. The product box includes a pamphlet offering tricks and tips on how to switch up difficulty levels. They make the Poker Box using high-quality plastic.
Outward Hound Nina Ottosson Dog Smart Dog Puzzle Toy Dog Game
- BEGINNER DOG PUZZLE: The Dog Smart by Nina Ottosson is a level 1 interactive dog puzzle toy that will prepare your pup...
- ENGAGING & MENTALLY STIMULATING: This interactive dog puzzle features 9 hidden compartments that are covered by 9...
- REDUCES BOREDOM & DESTRUCTIVE BEHAVIOR: The Dog Smart interactive dog treat puzzle provides your pup with a fun and...
Outward Hound's Smart Dog Puzzle Toy will stimulate and entertain your pup's brain. Many dog lovers know the designer, Nina Ottosson, for designing puzzles and interactive toys which stimulate dogs by using reward-based play patterns.
Dogs can play 3 levels of games with this toy, increasingly challenging after Level 1. Your dog can practice problem-solving as he plays through levels.
This toy has 9 bone-shaped treat compartments, and even an entire meal, a good way to entertain your dog and make sure they don't bolt their food.
The packaging includes tricks and tips for getting the utmost out the Smart Dog Puzzle Toy. For example, Ottosson suggests leaving the tall ends of the 'bones' sticking out so your pooch can learn the concept of looking for treats in the toy.
West Paw Zogoflex Tux Interactive Treat Dispensing Dog Chew Toy
- DURABLE DOG CHEW TOYS FOR AGGRESSIVE CHEWERS: Keep your friendly Fido busy and entertained with this dog chew toy from...
- INTERACTIVE CHEW TOYS FOR DOGS: If you have dog or playful pup who loves to gnaw and chew at home, safeguard your...
- STIMULATING DOG CHEW TOYS: Prolong play with this mentally stimulating dog chew toy that can be filled with kibble or...
The 3 balls of the Zogoflex Tux seem similar to the classic Kong toy, but requires your dog to work a little harder to get treats to fall through the 2 openings. Dogs can toss the toy, another option to entertain your pup. It is even buoyant, so your dog can play with it in the water.
The Zogoflex Tux's is an extra-strong and durable non-toxic material and does not include BPA or phthalates. In 2 sizes, it comes with a 100% money-back guarantee and is dishwasher safe.
OurPets IQ Treat Ball Interactive Food Dispensing Dog Toy
- MENTALLY STIMULATE YOUR DOG: These dog food & dog treat dispensing dog toys keep dogs mentally and physically stimulated...
- CUSTOMIZABLE IQ TREAT BALL: Your furry pal gets smarter as they play with this interactive dog toy & dog puzzle dog...
- EASY TO USE AND CLEAN DOG PUZZLE DOG TOYS: Our interactive treat dispensing dog toys conveniently use your dog's...
The IQ Treat Ball Interactive Food Dispensing Dog Toy prompts your dog to play and have fun while exercising. As your pet pushes the IQ Treat Ball around the floor, treats will fall out. The Treat Ball comes in 2 sizes, for small to medium-sized dogs, and offers adjustable levels of difficulty. If your pup eats too fast, you can use the toy for meals to slow him down and give him exercise at the same time.
Owners can adjust the difficulty level as their dogs get better at dispensing treats, extending the useful life of this interactive toy.
This toy, made from non-toxic durable plastic, comes apart for cleaning. Some dog owners say their pups' teeth have gotten stuck in the dispensing hole.
PetSafe Busy Buddy Calming Toys
- REDUCES ANXIETY: Soothing chamomile-scented rubber helps reduce your pup’s anxiety; includes set of two fun toys, to...
- DISPENSES TREATS: Our patented Treat Meter dispenses treats and reduces boredom while your dog plays; toy openings can...
- SAFE FOR YOUR PET: Durable construction built to handle frequent and heavy chewing; made of safe, non-toxic materials
Busy Buddy Calming Toys can make your departure and your pup's alone time easier, keeping your pooch busy and soothing him with a chamomile scent. Manufacturers recommend using these calming interactive toys for crate training and in stressful situations, such as travel, vet appointments, or moving to a new home.
Owners can widen the treat dispensing holes in these 2 dog toys to dispense larger treats. These toys use durable rubber and can stand up to frequent use and chewing.
Pet Qwerks Talking Babble Ball Toy
- Interactive Dog Toy: The Talking Babble Ball is motion activated and talks, growls, and interacts with your pet; Great...
- Keep Them Busy: As your pet breathes on it or walks past it, the banter ensues, demanding play time by enticing your...
- Healthy Chew Outlet: The Babble Ball helps dogs satisfy their natural instinct to chew and helps reduce anxiety and...
The Qwerks Babble Ball grabs your dog's attention by talking to him. Just think of the head tilts when your pup tries to understand where the voices are coming from. The Babble Ball allows dogs to generate sounds from moving the ball around.
The Babble Ball comes in 3 sizes suitable for dogs of different sizes, and as a puppy grows. The manufacturer recommends giving Babble Ball to puppies to stimulate their intelligence. Electronics in the ball might not work well or at all if wet from bouncing into a puddle or if dogs slobber on it heavily.
IFOYO Dog Squeaky Toy, Large Durable Hide Seek Puzzle Plush Interactive Dog Toys
- This dog toy made of high quality durable plush material, prevent tearing from pet’s bites, please note it's not for...
- Mushroom house for hiding and seeking play pattern which dogs love very much
- Come with 3 hedgehogs squeak toy and 1 mushroom house, we promise 1 Month free refund or return warranty warranty of...
Hide Seek Puzzle Plush Interactive Dog Toys offers 4 versions of this hide-and-seek puzzle. Buyers can choose from plush squeaky chicks, dinosaurs, pandas, or squirrels, all of which come with their own plush hiding place. They make the toys from high-quality material which does not tear easily, but this toy is not for heavy chewers.
With the plush animals hidden in their chicken coop, dinosaur egg, bamboo, or log, this toy appeals to your pooch's instinct to hunt small animals, as they work to extract the toys.
Ranging in price, all these toys are affordable, so dog owners can try out different toys to see which their pooch likes best, because dogs should have the final say.
The best value for money is Trixie Pet Products Poker Box, which has 4 separate puzzles and high levels of flexibility. However, whichever toy you choose, we're sure your dog will thank you.
Featured Image via Pixabay
Last update on 2021-07-26 at 12:32 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API